- B.A. (Hons. Near Eastern Archaeology), Wilfrid Laurier University (1993)
- M.A. (Religion),Carleton University (1995)
- Ph.D. (Comparative Literary Studies), Carleton University (2001)
Biography: Since I first started learning biblical Hebrew in 1989 as an undergraduate in archaeology, I’ve been fascinated by the text and world of the Hebrew Bible. I hope that I communicate my passion for the text to students, and that students learn the wonders of the biblical texts.
Research and Teaching Interests: Hebrew Bible, especially Persian-period texts such as Chronicles, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi; Religion in the Persian Empire; Comparative approaches to ancient texts; Feminist approaches to biblical texts.
Courses include BA 110 (Introduction to the Jewish Bible), BA 221 (Pentateuch, with a focus on Creation Texts), BA 226 (Prophetic Books of the Hebrew Scriptures, with a focus on Haggai-Zechariah-Malachi), BA 229 (Feminist Exegesis of the Hebrew Scriptures), BA 329 (Inner-biblical Interpretation), and introductory and intermediate courses in biblical Hebrew language.
Selected Recent Publications:
- “Berlin Papyrus P. 13447 and the Library of the Yehudite Colony at Elephantine”, Journal of Near Eastern Studies 76 (2017): 139-147
- “A Paradeisos at Ramat Rahel and the Setting of Zechariah”, Transeuphratene 48 (2016): 77-91
- “Coming, Going, and Knowing: Reading Sex and Embodiment in Hebrew Narrative”, Hebrew Bible and Ancient Israel 5 (2016): 94-111
- 1-2 Chronicles: Introduction, character sketches and comments for The CEB Women’s Bible (Nashville: Common English Bible, 2016)
- “The Testament of Darius (DNa/DNb) and Constructions of Kings and Kingship in 1-2 Chronicles”, in J. Silverman & C. Waerzeggers (eds.), Political Memory in and after the Persian Empire (Atlanta: SBL Press, 2015), 363-380
- “Achaemenid Persian Concepts Pertaining to Covenant and Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi”, in R. Bautch & G.N. Knoppers (eds), Covenant in the Persian Period (Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns, 2015), 291-306
- “A Note on the Creation Formula in Zechariah 12:1-8; Isaiah 42:5-6; and Old Persian Inscriptions”, Journal of Biblical Literature 133 (2014): 305-308
- “1-2 Chronicles”, in C. Newsom, S. Ringge and J. Lapsley (eds.), The Women’s Bible Commentary, 3rd ed. (Louisville, Ky.: Westminster John Knox, 2012), 184-91
Experience: Professor of Hebrew Scriptures at St. Andrew’s College (2002-present). Associate member of the Department of Religion and Culture (2011-present), and adjunct member of the College of Graduate Studies (2009-present) at the University of Saskatchewan.