Emmanuel College was founded at Prince Albert in 1879. An Act of the Dominion Parliament established and incorporated the college as "The University of Saskatchewan" in 1883. When the provincial government established its own university in Saskatoon in 1909, Emmanuel College moved to that city and, while retaining its university status, relinquished its charter title to the new university taking as its new name, The University of Emmanuel College.
St. Chad's College was established in Regina in 1907, where it continued its work until 1964; the year it amalgamated with Emmanuel College. Together they formed the College of Emmanuel & St. Chad, continuing as an affiliate college of the University of Saskatchewan.
The Provincial Synod of May 1967 formally recognized the College of Emmanuel & St. Chad as the official accredited Theological College for the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land. The student body includes postulants from the dioceses of this Province and various other provinces of the Anglican Communion
Saskatoon Theological Union
Students and faculty at Emmanuel & St. Chad have a close working relationship with the Lutheran Theological Seminary (ELCIC) and St. Andrew's College (United Church of Canada), both of which are also located on the University of Saskatchewan campus, as part of the Saskatoon Theological Union (STU).
The STU aims to provide a co-operative and ecumenical approach to theological education. While remaining distinct and separate institutions, the three member colleges share their resources in significant ways. The STU framework makes the course offerings of all three colleges available to students enrolled in any of the member institutions. Attempts are made to co-ordinate course offerings in each area of study and in some instances courses are jointly offered by professors from more than one college.
The operation of the STU is maintained by means of regular meetings of the faculty members of the three colleges, supplemented by meetings of more specialized groups - heads of colleges, the registrars, the subject-area "sections" (Biblical Studies; Church History and Historical Theology, Systematic Theology; Ethics and Church and Society; Pastoral Theology), and other ad hoc committees. The Graduate Studies Program is supervised by a director in conjunction with the Graduate Studies Council comprised of the faculty members of the three colleges.
The STU maintains a close relationship wiht the University of Saskatchewan with which all three schools are affiliated.